mercoledì 15 ottobre 2008

Mona Lisa Bento

Today's book is quite extraordinary.


I don't even know what it's titled (お弁当アートの作り方 (単行本) ) which should stand for "Really Artistic Kick-ass Bento's" by Junko Terashima. It's 78 pages of sheer shock and surprise.

Different from my previous blog's book, this is less everyday bento and more extreme Bento. This is not to say it's better - only that you can go to a higher ground when creating bentos.

If you google images with her name, you will definately find an infinite number of images to check out. Here are some of the most amazing :

Here is one that uses food in the most amazing landscape. There is cabbage for the mountains, colored rice and egg for a setting sun. Not to mention the rolls and well organised food to give the entire bento not just visual content but nutritional as well. I don't know much about her. All I know is that she does alot of classes in bento-ing as she does this mostly for her kids. There are pics in her book of her kids eating the most intricate bentos like no big deal. I'd almost feel terrible to see hours worth of work go into their mouths. I guess the true testimonial to dedication to your children.
Here is another :

This one is great since it shows an incredible sense of humor. I don't suspect her kids ate this one. Or maybe they did. And here for your enjoyment :


I wonder whose stomachs would turn and who would eat it hungrily.
Check out the contents. Lots of seaweed but lots of pumpkin, egg rolls wrapping everything from imitation crab leg to okra, beans and carrots, there are strawberries, apple slices - basically the most balanced meal a kid could ask for. And they would eat it all up.

I wish I was able to read her book - also again in kanji - since there are sections devoted to how she transfers facial designs to the ham or bologne slices. I'll just have to wait until a friend of mine translates it for me.

And in closing....

Mozart (notes on an egg !!) and

A take-off from a famous woodblock print with Mount Fuji in the background.

I wish I could find her internet site but I couldn't. So, navigate....and let me know if you find something.

Nessun commento: